Many themes display the biographical info about authors that can be entered through the User Management section in the WordPress Dashboard. Whenever you run a multi-lingual site you obviously want the author info to be translated as well.
The poplular multi-language plugin WPML (affiliate link) does support this – but you don’t only have to enable “String Translation”, you have to explicitly make WMPL scan the author info as well. Just follow the steps below and easily translate your user biographies. This thread from the WPML support forum brought me on the right track.
- in the WordPress Dashboard, navigate to WPML > String translation
- on the bottom right of the page there will be a box named “More Options”
– click on the “edit” link next to “Translating users of types:” and select the checkbox for “Author” (or the user role you want the biography translated for), then click “Apply”
- now to to WPML > Theme and plugins localization
- (If you haven’t activated String Translation yet, select “Translate the theme and plugins using WPML’s String Translation”)
- after the initial options and lists, find the button “Scan the theme for strings” and click it
- go again to WPML -> String Translation
- on the filter field “Select strings within domain”, select “Authors” (or the user role you previously selected to be scanned). The page will then refresh itself and the list will now contain all author’s fields available for translation, including the biography/description.